My Favourite Things About Summer! || Guest Post by Macey!

Hi there, I’m Macey and I’m a friend of Sophie’s I haven’t got a blog yet, but I do plan to start one sometime soon! Sophie and I met on Twitter, and although we live far away from each other and haven’t met (yet!), I think I can honestly say that she is one of the nicest people I know, and we are great friends Sophie was so kind as to tell me that I could guest post on her wonderful blog, and I thought I might as it would be a great experience. So without further ado, I’ll tell you my most favourite things about summer!
I think the first and most obvious pro about the summer holidays is TIME. Time is something I know I lack in throughout the school year, what with SCHOOL, revision, and things of that sort. However, when summertime comes, I have SO MUCH time to just do whatever I jolly well please! Nearly all of my favourite things fall under this first point because I have the time to do them!

One of my most loved pastimes might seem a bit childish, but I love it so much I really could care less. This is something I started doing a loooooong time ago, and it has become a staple to my everyday summer routine. I listen to The Chronicles of Narnia by Focus on the Family Radio Theatre. I have loved these stories since I was small; they stemmed my love for England and my desire to go there one day. Sometimes while I listen, (this also might sound really childish haha), I’ll attempt to draw or colour, (failing miserably), as I find it really therapeutic. I really would like to get the Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Colouring Book by Johanna Basford as it looks SO incredible. Putting those two things together probably gets me more excited than I should be!

Another WONDERFUL thing about summer is going on holiday, taking a trip to some of the lovely places in California. Usually my family and my cousins go to the Avila/Pismo area. While we are there, we go to the beach (duh!), walk around Arroyo Grande, go to Avila Animal Farm and feed the goats, llamas, and other menagerie, eat some AHHHMAZING pizza from a place called Fatte’s (what a great name haha ;’)), or shop the Pismo Outlets. We might also go down to Morro Bay which is so beautiful especially during the summer, visit friends in Sacramento, or go watch the Giants play a great ball game by the bay in San Francisco! Where I live, it is STIFLING practically allllll summer, and it has been so much worse as California has been in a drought for the longest time, and going by the ocean is wonderfully REFRESHING.
One of the next best things is being with all of my favourite people. As a Christian, I’ve been super blessed to have attended an incredible church my entire life, and all my truest and closest friends I have grown up with are from church! Me and my girls have sleepovers, hang out and laugh until our abs feel as if we’ve undergone 100 crunches :’) Then the whole squad gets together every Friday, sometimes we go to the beach for a day, and have the BEST time.
One thing I’ve grown up with is also called VBS, and it’s when my church invites kids of all ages to come for a week from 6-9 p.m. where they can learn about God through song and
dance, activities, and getting to eat really great food ;) As a child, I took a part of this, and now that my friends and I have been older, we’ve taken part in helping run the stations and lead crews of kids, it’s one of my favourite times of the summer.

For me, as I have grown to love writing so so much these past couple of years, summer has been a great time to develop my skills in something that I love to do. I really enjoy sitting down with my cup of tea (crazy, I know it’s summer but I have to have my tea), and writing what’s on my mind and heart and expressing what I feel.
Reading books has been one of my favourite things since I learnt to do it! My dad taught me how to read when I was three, and I have lost myself in so many worlds since then. Of course with all the extra time I have, I tend to read a lot more than I do the rest of the year! Some of my favourites are The Chronicles of Narnia(ofc) -C.S. Lewis, The Hobbit/LOTR-J.R.R. Tolkien (yes I am that person), The Giver by Lois Lowry, and Anne of Green Gables-L.M. Montgomery, just to name a few. Give me some tea, get me a good book, and I am so contented with life!

I am sort of like Monica Geller (I say sort of cos I’m not all that tidy haha) as I like to organise EVERYTHING. Summertime means sorting time, and I organise my wardrobe, my drawers, and everything that I own :’) I like knowing where everything is and it’s so satisfying.

Now as I said before, the weather here KILLS. I always get happy and excited for summer, and then I melt before summer even comes because the 90’s hit in May and stay until October. This drought really is not working well for California :’) But like anybody else, I love to swim. When I’m in the water I could care less about how hot it is, although there have been plenty of times when I expect a blast of cold water, and all I got is lukewarm -_- Most of the time, the water is decently fresh, and I just love my grandma for having a pool with a diving board and 8 foot depth.

As an American, I get super duper excited for the 4th of July, as it’s our Independence Day! Both sets of my grandparents live in the same town, which is perfect, so we visit both sides of the family, have some well good fireworks, eat amazing food, and do our best to be grateful that we live in the United States of America, the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Although I am not a massive fan of summer weather, summer is one of the best times of year for me. I have so much time to do as I wish- I get to write, read all the books, SWIM (woooooo yeah!), listen to a story all day, everyday haha, and be in the best company. Summer holds some amazing memories, and so far this summer has been wonderful, and I’m sure it will continue to be memorable and full of fun! 


I really hope you enjoyed this post, so much thanks and love to Sophie for letting me do this!  What are your favourite things about summer? Leave them in the comments below!

Comments

Back to Top